Thursday, October 21, 2010

Interview with Artist Chiara Merlotti

Los Angeles is a great mecca for bringing together Artists of all types and I had the opportunity to meet Chiara Merlotti through teaching Music and Art to her daughter. Recently Chiara was part of the Vast Art Fair and had invited me to her studio where she displays her latest Work, "Sticks and Stones". I was so intrigued with her Artistic approach to the famous children's nursery rhyme that I wanted to find out more about her and her life as an artist. Enjoy the interview below.





Q. At what age did you discover your talent for art and what was the first piece of artwork you created?
A. I knew I wanted to do something creative as early as elementary school. I won an honorable mention in a city wide drawing competition, but I don’t remember the drawing at all.

Q. Was there anyone else in your family that had artistic talent too?
A. My paternal grandmother was a seamstress. My maternal grandfather made jewelry. I’d like to think I inherited something from each of them.

Q. You were born and raised in Milan Italy. That is known for its Artistic History and Culture. What was it like growing up there, and what made you want to study and live in the US? 
A.Milan is vibrannt, intellectually engaged, and culturally rich. Unfortunately, the professional opportunities for a young person in my field were limited. I chose to come to the United States to study because I knew I would have a better chance at a career in the arts here.


Q. What is the process of your creativity? And does it ever change based on the medium you are creating?
A. I usually begin with an idea or concept, but I don’t know where that idea or concept will take me. My approach to painting is very process oriented. Every choice informs the next. Different media offer more or less control, but on the whole, the process tends to be the same.

Q. Where do you get your inspiration from?
A. I look at other artists a lot. I am inspired by the human body and by nature. Sometimes I can even get ideas from flipping through the pages of the New York Times.

Q. What is your favorite medium?
A. I love to draw. Graphite and charcoal are definitely my favorite media.

Q. Who is/are your favorite artist/s?
A. My favorite painters are Edvard Munch, Paul Klee, and Richard Diebenkorn. I admire photographers like Sally Mann, and Eugene Smith. I also love the work of young artists like Lisa Kokin, Josephine Taylor, Loretta Lux, and Darren Waterston.

Q. Your current work is titled “Sticks and Stones” (I would like to insert a pic) Can you please share with the audience the creative process and where did you get the inspiration to create this particular work?
A. The series is based on the nursery rhyme, “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” It is a series of abstract compositions with bones, branches, twigs, rocks, and pebbles. In each painting, these elements interact. The paintings are acrylic, charcoal, and collage on paper.













Q. Musicians can write a different song daily, designers have to come up with a different line every 3-6 months. How often does an artist change their work? Is it completely different from the previous one?

A. There is no rule about when or how often an artist’s work needs to change. An artist like Giorgio Morandi, for instance, painted the same still life objects his entire life.

Q. What kind of medium do you see yourself doing next?
A. I am curious about encaustic. I’d also like to try casine (milk based) paint.

Q. Where can the audience see your works and purchase them?
A. My work can be seen at www.chiaramerlotti.com. I can be contacted through the site.

Q. Can you name a teacher or subject that aided in the inspiration of becoming the artist that you are today?
A. Over the years, I’ve had many wonderful and inspirational teachers. I owe them all a huge debt of gratitude.

Q. Kids today have access to art classes as early as 18 months what are your feelings about that?
A. I think that kind of exposure is great, as long as young kids are allowed to express their creativity freely. I am profoundly opposed to teaching a toddler that there is a “right” way to draw or paint.

Q. What kind of advice would you give to someone who is just starting out as an artist?
A. If you’re passionate about art, seek the best education you can afford. Don’t let others derail your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment